Shakshuka with Eggplant, Olives and Feta
Shakshuka is a North African dish with vegetables and eggs cooked in a tomato sauce.
Servings: 4 people
- 2 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 1 medium eggplant cut into strips
- 5 ounces mushrooms sliced
- 12 green olives pitted
- 1 tea cumin ground
- 1 tea paprika sweet
- 1/2 tea cayenne pepper
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/4 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1 ounce Feta crumbled
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon basil chopped
- Heat oil in a cast-iron pan until very hot and smoking
- Add oil, onion, garlic, eggplant, mushrooms, and green olives to fry. Add paprika, cayenne, cumin
- Add tomatoes and water to the pan
- Cover and cook another 10 minutes.
- Season well with salt and pepper
- Add Feta and stir
- Make 4 hollows to place eggs in in the vegetable mixture while in the frying pan
- Break an egg into each hollow in the pan.
- Cover and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Let stand keeping covered, until the egg whites are set
- Before serving sprinkle with basil